Sunday, May 4, 2008

Whew....what a weekend!

So, we all managed to survive this incredibly packed weekend. Tim and Addie had a great time while I was in class. They ventured to Walmart one day and as Tim says, "played really hard" for the entire second day of my class. I was able to relieve him for about an hour so that he could go get something to eat (we have no groceries until Monday, my shopping day), but was soon headed right back out the door for a friend's bachelorette dinner party. Poor Tim! That is exactly how I feel when I go out of town with her alone and have noone there to give me a moments rest around the clock. He was exhausted when I finally made it home and probably a little ready to return to work today.
Just before we ventured off to bed, Tim comes downstairs with this unusual looking "thing" in his hand. It looked like a speckled rock of some sort and that is exactly what I cast it off to be, until Tim said it was "squishy...like a raisenette".....YUCK! Apon closer examination......I see small grooves where it looked like legs once were. OOOOOOOH....."Where did you find this?" I screamed at Tim. He came apon our little "specimen" in the hallway, under the thermostat on his way back from putting Addie in bed. I had Tim stuff "it" in a ziploc bag and seal the bag immediately. And guess what happened next? Its legs came out of those grooves and it started creeping around inside the bag. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it........how nasty! I immediately began searching the computer and I think I may have discovered what this thing is.........a carpet beetle! The computer websites say they are very common in museums feeding on the preserved specimens! AHHHHHHHH.....and that they lay 300 eggs at a time!!!!!!!! Are there more in my house? What if I can't see the eggs and they are brooding in my hallway floor? Does anyone know anything about these things? I started itching at that moment and I havent stopped since......and do you want to know what Tim had to say about our little friend? "Maybe you should vaccum the hallway tomorrow when you get a chance?"

By the way, Tim doesn't think I should blog about this topic....."People will think we have bugs in our house". For those of you who know me well, I will not cohabitate with bugs! As you can imagine, I am not letting our little friend go without a fight........


UPDATE: So, come to find out, from a wise neighbor across the street......our little creepy crawly friend is not a carpet beetle after all. Turns out, he is a very full, very fat, ........tick!!!!! I am still so amazed, I don't even know what to say. This thing is as big and round as my thumbnail. He must have been sucking on my poor dog day and night for months! Although, I am glad that my house is not infested with thousands of carpet beetle larvae, I am a little concerned for my poor dog, who by the way will be receiving a flea and tick treatment tomorrow!

No comments: