Wednesday, July 16, 2008

She's almost here......a year ago today

Before the epidural........

And after the epidural........just waiting and waiting....and waiting!

Since we spent some pretty long hours in the hospital after she was born, I actually wrote down every small detail of this crazy day for Addie to read when she is older and curious about the day she was born. I will save you all from all of the gory details.
I went to the hospital around 4:00 pm. I got an epidural around 5:45 or so.... It really was unbearable! The pain was so intense that I would forget that I needed to breathe! Crazy! After the epidural, things seemed to fly by, but I didn't even start to push until 11:30 that night.....Honestly, I have never been more scared in my entire life, but I just kept reminding myself...."Carrie, there is no way out now....she has to come out of there, one way or another!" Looking back, it is much easier to go into it knowing nothing. The second time around I might be even worse off knowing exactly how much pain I'm going to be in both during and after! My mom, of course, was my biggest cheerleader in there. I can still hear her telling me how good I am doing and how proud of me she is. Tim was wonderful as always and stuck right by my side even during the messy parts!
It still seems like just yesterday. This day will remain one of my most memorable moments....the day before I was to get the hardest, but most fulfilling job I would ever have....being a mommy....the exact thing I have always wanted to be!
We are very excited about Addie's birthday tomorrow!

5 comments:

Addie's Mamaw said...

Those memories will always be with me. My daughter brought the most precious little girl into my life on that day!!!!!!

ErinRagan said...

Aren't epidurals magical??

I was like you, Carrie... the pain was sooo bad, I forgot to breathe. And when my water broke, there was no break in contractions after that... it was just one after another after another... I didn't have TIME to breathe, even if I'd remembered.

The anesthesiologist with the biiiiig needle was my best friend that day! (both days that my kids were born, actually, lolol)

OH, and don't worry... even though you know how awful it is, you'll want to do it again! ;) It's almost always easier the second time around!!!!!!

Carrie Hewitt said...

What would I do without you Erin? Do you think you could continue that little pep talk in about 3 months when we start thinking we may want another one? I'm afraid I might back out!

Addie's Mamaw said...

Did you say "in about 3 months"? OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!
Isn't life sweet????

Carrie Hewitt said...

Ok folks....let me correct myself before everyone gets excited.....In a perfect world, I would be ready to try for another baby in a couple of months...that way I could finish up my master's during the pregnancy, stay home for an additional year with the new baby, making it a total of 3 years home and then make it back to school before my license runs up and before we go to the poor house! But......Im not ready...physically or emotionally...I'm still scared to death! Sorry Mom....not quite yet...we'll get ya another one someday soon.....Im not getting any younger!