Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Have you seen my little girl lately?

She went to school this morning. Not just a little mom's morning out school, but a real preschool with lessons and bookbags and a little routine where they learn the weather and the days of the week each morning. She was so excited!


We have worked very hard to get to this point. Addie had to be potty-trained first before she could attend, and that has been a challenge, but we have done it! She even sleeps in big-girl underwear now, and she is very proud of herself too! After a year of practice at a mom's morning out program, she had to be "ready" to be dropped off and away from mommy for a while. I think we did a pretty good job with that too. And lastly, she had to be respectful and able to get along and share with a room full of other three-year-old girls and boys. That I know we can do!

She grabbed my leg as I bent over the stroller in search of the camera and quietly whispered "bye mama". That's when the tears started to form. I hugged her little body and pushed her towards the door, trying very hard to not let her see me get emotional. She was being such a big girl. I snapped the following pictures as I hid behind some other mothers while she took her bookbag off and started to find her seat.

The picture below is a bit fuzzy, but its easy to see how nervous she was, yet she was trying so hard to be brave.

I'm pretty positive I wasn't the only mother getting teary-eyed and emotional as I made my way back to my car. I wasn't sad that I had to drop her off, or upset because she was upset. I was just plain proud. She was such a brave little girl, and I was so proud to send her into that classroom so that those two teachers and those other little boys and girls could get to know her. They will learn soon enough just how very sweet she is. They too will be amazed at her enthusiam for learning and how she soaks everything in like a sponge. I am sure that they will all fall in love with her and her fun little personality, because even though she can be challenging and way too stubborn on a regular basis, that little girl has a heart of gold. I am a proud, proud mama this morning. And I really am a very lucky person!

No comments: